What is a Charity Auction?
A charity auction is a fundraising event in which attendees bid to win auction items and packages. The highest bidder wins the item and the fundraising organization receives the proceeds. Mast Auctioneers is here to make your charity auction a highly engaging experience that will surely bring success to your fundraising efforts.
How to plan a Charity Auction
- Figure out your budget.
- Decide when and where your auction will take place. As you look at venues take into consideration how many people you will expect to show.
- Book an auctioneer. Mast Auctioneers has an award-winning team of auctioneers, ringmen, and auction professionals to provide you with superior service. Contact us today!
- Set a fundraising goal.
- Begin the procurement process with your team. (Read more about this below!)
- Start marketing your auction.
- Think about the details of your event including food, auction item display, the checkout process, item distribution, etc.
- Host your auction and watch the excitement and energy that Mast Auctioneers brings to your event!
- Follow up with auction attendees to thank them.
How to Procure Auction Items
1. Form a team
Procuring auction items is a huge task – don’t try to take it on by yourself! Form a procurement committee to share the workload of soliciting and tracking items.
2. Get started early
Getting high-quality items takes some time. Brainstorm a list of items, along with potential donors for each item. Personally reach out to them several months in advance.
3. Take your audience into consideration
Take some time to think about who will be attending your auction. What is the average age? How much are they comfortably able to bid on auction items? Do you know what their past engagement at an auction looks like?
4. Create a wishlist
After taking a deep dive into your audience, brainstorm a list of items that you would like to auction off. Shoot for some items that seem out-of-reach! Share your vision and tasks to keep track of your item progress with your team.
How to Market a Charity Auction
You’ve worked hard to plan your charity auction, but now you need to get the word out to get people to come!
- Share on your social media – A LOT! As soon as you are sure of the where and when, share save-the-dates so that people can mark their calendar. Share featured items that will be auctioned off to get your followers interested in attending.
- Lay out your auction goal on your organization’s blog. Describe what the auction events will look like, things to look forward to, and the goals that you have for your auction.
- Send out invitations through email and snail-mail.
There’s a lot on the line with charity auctions. Organizations depend on auctions to generate large portions of their annual budgets. If they don’t go well, they have a chance of missing their annual budget.
We have auctioneers specifically trained in the nonprofit space. Our founder, Joseph Mast, has raised over $100M+ for charitable organizations.
We would love the chance to partner with you to achieve your fiscal and organizational goals.
Contact us today and let’s get started!
Ways to Make Charity Auction Attendees Feel Appreciated
Donors are the reason you have a successful charity auction or not, so it is important to show appreciation to your givers. Make all your guests feel welcome, important, and noticed. Warmly meet and greet each attendee and afterward, thank them for attending and for their support.
Call Your Guests Prior to the Event
Tell your guests that you are looking forward to meeting/seeing them at the event. Share all the important information about the event and ask if they have any questions. Show your guests how excited you are and be very energetic – it will help build their anticipation!
Assign People to Meet and Greet
If possible, make a point to walk around and greet all new attendees to make an individual connection and share more about your organization and mission. Get help from your board members, staff, and volunteers to engage with each attendee. Have your team make your event attendees feel special and appreciated.
Create a VIP Area at the Event
- VIP Cocktail Hour – Open the doors an hour early for an exclusive reception. Give your VIPs the chance to meet special guests and network in a smaller group.
- VIP Tables – Seat your VIPs close to the front, decorate their tables more lavishly, and dismiss them first for food and dessert.
- VIP Attention-Getters – Make your VIPs stand out with corsages, different colored wristbands, or nametags.
Follow Up After the Event
Wondering how to create repeat donors? Nothing says “Wow!” like a prompt thank you phone call. The day after the auction, set the receipts and written thank you notes to the side. Instead, pick up the phone and dial those numbers. Recruit your board members to help and provide them with a script. Let your donors know how grateful you are for their support and how thrilled you are that they attended your event.
Contact Mast Auctioneers today to learn more about how your organization can succeed with a charity auction! Visit https://mastauctioneers.com/contact-us/