Why is it important to set challenges for yourself? Because the only way to advance in your life, in your career, in your relationship, is to challenge yourself. Taking on a new challenge means that you are doing something you haven’t done before. It means taking your current skills and doing whatever it takes to escalate them to the next level. It means developing and applying new attitudes, behaviors, skills, and practices.
When you set a goal and take on a new challenge, you don’t have to sprint towards the finish line – you might walk at times, sprint at times, and stumble throughout the process. Set realistic expectations and decide how you are going to face failure.
Let’s take a look at a few ways you can choose to challenge yourself today.
- Focus on doing what matters to you and avoid doing things that matter less.
- Build new relationships.
- Strengthen and develop current relationships.
- Practice listening before speaking.
- Say no to things that do not build you up and support the lifestyle you are working towards.
What can you do to help accomplish the challenges you set for yourself?
- Be vocal about your goals and let others know what you’re challenging yourself to.
- Find a mentor or friend that will support you and be an accountability partner.
- Define your overall goal. Use the challenges listed above to help you reach a goal in your life – whether it be a career goal, relationship goal, or lifestyle goal.
- Set short-term wins. When reaching for a big, long-term goal you must focus on the day-to-day ways you can be successful in taking steps to your larger goal.
Challenging yourself is difficult. It means you are facing fears and exposing weaknesses but ultimately you will become a stronger, better version of yourself.
In what ways will you challenge yourself today?